Saturday, September 5, 2015

Getting Started


"But Lord, is this really what you've called me to do?"


I've said that prayer sometimes a dozen times a day over the past several months, as I've tried to ignore that 'nudging' in my soul about starting this venture.  Scared is an understatement as I sit and type these words and thoughts.  Those other 'voices' that we hear in our mind, the "but I'm not a writer", "I'm not good enough", "no one is going to read this", "you don't know what you are doing"............. those lies go on and on and on.  Those lies are from the evil one who we battle everyday and who tries to prevent us from 'living like Christ".

I'm sinfully human, just like you, and I struggle each and everyday trying "to live like Christ", yet I strive to improve each and everyday.  Just this past week, I was challenged to love other brothers and sisters, just as Christ loves us, (see John 13:34, Ephesians 5:2).  You know the ones, the ones who can get under your skin the minute you see an e-mail from them, a text message, a phone call alert, or see them walking up to you.  And although I wallowed in my own pit, allowing those individuals to temporarily steal my joy, I was gently asked "what would Christ do".  For one, He wouldn't have reacted the way that I did, with a loud outburst of "are you kidding me", or the tears that followed on each of these two occasions.

I'll admit, the rest of my day was a struggle after this occurred, and like I do so many times, I didn't follow that very wise internal voice of the Holy Spirit.  Instead of the emotional outburst, I should have found a quiet spot, and with my smartphone in tow, I should've prayed, asking for guidance, for peace, found Bible verses or pulled up a devotion to help return me to my Christ centeredness, instead of focusing on the 'poor me'.   One of my favorite acronyms is WWJD - What Would Jesus Do, and in that moment, I should've asked myself "if Jesus was sitting beside me right now, how would I react".  And in that emotional outburst moment, I can guarantee you that if my mind would've been focused on Him and not on myself I would've handled things far differently.

It is imperative that if we are to "Live Like Christ" then we need to focus on Him daily.  Below are just a few of the hundreds of different options available to us. (This is not meant to be an inclusive list, but just to provide suggestions and avenues so that we can all learn To Live Like Christ).


  • You Version Bible  - this is a website as well as an app that offers both online and downloadable Bibles so that you can carry God's Word with you anywhere.  They also have hundreds of daily devotional plans that you can do to be sure that you stay in God's Word.  FREE bible.com
  • First5  - This is an app by Proverbs 31 Ministry lead by Lysa TerKeurst. They recently launched their app in hopes that women would devote their first 5 minutes to God before their day and interruptions begins.  This app is truly beautiful, has it's own alarm clock, as well as many other features. Visit their website to learn more about it at proverbs31.org . FREE 
  • Proverbs31 - They offer an online Bible study that runs for about 6 weeks approximately every quarter.  Although the book that they are studying does cost, you can enjoy daily encouragement, small groups and other involvement at no cost.  To learn more go to proverbs31.org (I've been doing their studies for about the last 3 or 4 sessions, and they are very well done, fun, enjoyable and very Biblical).
  • Women's Bible Cafe - Online Bible Studies on a variety of great online topics and subjects. womensbiblecafe.com  FREE
  •  Love God Greatly - Online Bible Studies and Blog. lovegodgreatly.com  FREE
There are hundreds of different avenues that one can find if they look.  Those listed above just happen to be my current 'go to' sites.

Besides walking with you on a frequent basis in this blog, I feel it is my God given mission to share some of the "tools" that I've learned during my Christian walk.  I'm not an expert, not paid or encouraged by any website, app or book that I might mention. We as Christians just need to share with each other, build each other up, and encourage each other, and if what I've learned can help another sister or brother in Christ then I believe that that is a WWJD moment and our goal To Live Like Christ.

Until next time...............................
Koni


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. I read it twice, it really spoke to my heart, this gives me so much encouragement, you did such a wonderful job putting this altogether. That's one thing I have to always remember "wwjd" i get so bogged down with other things and people that I need to focus on Jesus more, because in the end, he is the only one that will ever matter... Thank you for words of encouragement 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your life with others. Your words made me stop and think about how often I have done that very thing without realizing I was not looking at others with the eyes of Christ! We are in a spiritual battle that though we can not it see with our eyes, it is very real. Sweet Sister, may God continue to use you to encourage others to keep our eyes focused on him.

    ReplyDelete